Monday, February 8, 2010

Great Backyard Bird Count

Attention nerds and treehuggers: The Great Backyard Bird Count is coming up this coming weekend, February 12-15. This is an annual event where citizen scientists (that's you) can help provide data to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology to help them track bird populations. Here are two posts I made about it last year: Birds, Climate Change and Citizen Science and My Un-big Day.

I don't get a lot of birds in my own backyard yet--I need to plant for trees and shrubs so that they have some cover--so I'll probably only do a tiny count at home and will do another count out in the city somewhere. Last year I counted at a bus stop for 15 minutes and scored a Merlin. I don't think I'll be quite that lucky this year, but even if I only see a few chickadees and a downy woodpecker, it's still a worthy contribution.

1 comment:

troutbirder said...

I didn't get much either here in the "bananna belt" of southern Minnesota. Then a bald eagle flew over quite unexpectedly. Whoa!