Tuesday, September 16, 2008

lakewalk expansion

Today was the first time I've biked down the new Lakewalk expansion out to 36th East, and it is beautiful, even if it doesn't go along the actual lake at that point. It passes through some very pretty wooded property, over Tischer Creek and some little tributaries. It's hard to believe you're sandwiched between two fairly major thoroughfares; it feels very secluded and woodsy. It actually reminds me a little bit of the Tri-County Corridor, which I used to ride all the time when I lived out in Ashland. (Never quite worked up the guts or stamina to attempt going all the way to Superior, about 70 miles one way; I wasn't in super good shape back then, and while I may have been able to make it *there*, I wouldn't have been able to make it back.)

It was a warm, sunny, Indian summer day today, and the air smelled like apples. For my entire ride I was racing dragonflies, and I really should have brought my binoculars with me because there were warblers and sparrows everywhere, and most of them just too far away to ID (at least by me, who relies on markings and is not so great IDing by song/behavior).

No comments: